Sunday 19 February 2012

Day 7 - Reykjavik - 21 August 2011

I had expected that my final day in Iceland would include a trip to the Blue Lagoon, the lagoon being one of the two things that everyone does in Iceland - the Golden Circle tour being the other. However, I found out what it costs. For the amount of time I expected to spend there, it just didn’t seem worth it to me. So instead, I went to the Icelandic Bird Museum, located beside the harbour. It’s located on the main floor of a two storey building, and you have to walk through a small cafe to get there. From this unassuming start, and the ten dollar admission, I had the distinct feeling of getting rooked, until I walked inside. They had several large glass display cases, with examples of nearly every bird you could see in Iceland (all stuffed, of course), in realistic settings. The guidebook, a duotang with pages in sleeves, turned out to be quite comprehensive, and I took photos of all the pages so I could make photo captions later. As happened so often in Iceland, time went by faster than expected, and it was shortly time to head to the airport.

Upon arriving at the airport, I found that Iceland Express had changed the flight to a smaller airplane, a 737. I was offered the opportunity to fly to New York instead, and get to Winnipeg on Monday, but unfortunately I had to be at work, so I passed. I wound up in the last row of a completely full airplane, with my carry on overflowing from under the seat. We departed Keflavik on time, and flew over Greenland on the way home. I’m pretty sure I’ve flown over Greenland before, on the way from Europe, but this time we were further south, and it was obvious that’s where we were. I had great views of icebergs calving off from glaciers, and fjords. I’ve been trying to find exactly where over Greenland we flew, but haven’t got it quite figured out yet. We landed on time, and I was home twenty minutes later.

No comments: