Thursday 9 December 2010

Ski Flying Season Has Begun

Got the skis on the Challenger last week, and made my first ski flight of the winter a couple of days ago. It's been a poor year for flying the airplane, only about 22 hours so far. I hope that I'll do better now that the skis are on - ski flying is a lot of fun.

The field is still a bit rough, with some pretty good drifts - which are very difficult to see, especially when it's cloudy out - so I really need some more snow. More snow will, unfortunately, pile up in front of the hangar.

At Oshkosh this year, I bought an A/V-Ator HD video camera, built to be used in aircraft. It has a mike input, a wide field of view, and the lens can be rotated 90 degrees to allow different mounting positions. I tried it out for just about the first time, and the result was okay - you can see one attempt here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkCjOC2MRy0

I expect I will get better results as I learn to use it, and maybe once the sun comes out, that will help, too.

No comments: